Mental Health Grants

There are a number of ways in which grants for mental health can be received by someone who is researching on the topic or is involved with an organization that provides services to people suffering from mental health problems like substance abuse. There are both government and private agencies which provide grants for mental health.

Part of the National Institute of Health, the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) provides grants for research projects and research training/research career development in mental health. For providing grants, the NIMH establishes priority areas within its overall mission of reducing the burden of mental health problems through research. Those seeking grants but finding it difficult to identify an appropriate program for their ideas, should get in touch with program officer so they can direct you appropriately.

Before you apply for grants on mental health, you must ensure your area of expertise and your research ideas are a good match for funding from NIMH. You must acquaint yourself with the application process, various types of grant mechanisms, review criteria, review process, and NIMH research areas and priorities before you start readying your application.

When your application for grants from the NIMH for mental health is approved, you will receive the notice of grant award (NGA), which is a legally binding document that notifies the grantee (Institution) and others that an award has been made. The document contains or references all terms and conditions of the award, and records the obligation of federal funds.

The National Alliance for Research on Schizophrenia and Depression (NARSAD) also distributes grants for scientific research into the causes, cures, treatments and prevention of mental health disorders, especially schizophrenia, depressions, and bipolar disorders.

The NARSAD Research Grants Programs support scientists who want to conduct basic research, clinical research, or a combination of both, in neurobiology.

These NARSAD grants programs include Young Investigator Award, Independent Investigator Award and Distinguished Investigator Award. The first supports scientists at the advanced post-doctoral or assistant professor (or equivalent) level. Awards are up to $30,000/year, for one year or two years (maximum of $60,000 for two years). The second supports scientists at the associate professor (or equivalent) level. Awards are up to $50,000/year, for two years (maximum of $100,000 for two years). The third supports scientists at the full professor (or equivalent) level. Awards are up to $100,000 for one year.

There are philanthropic organizations based in Arizona which provide grant funds for mental health issues and organizations. Apart from them, there are several other private agencies that can be contacted for grants for research or other types of work on mental health.

There is a compendium called The Research Funding and Resource Manual: Mental Health and Addictive Disorders (RFRM) which provides information on where and how to get funding for mental health and addictive disorders research. The manual contains a comprehensive listing of funding sources available to junior and senior researchers in psychiatry, psychology, neuroscience, and behavioral sciences. It addresses a wide range of topics to help researchers and trainees in developing resources to support research projects and career development activities and in responding to science policy issues.